If you are looking for a way to improve your appearance and showcase the best side of yourself, you might be interested in laser hair removal. This is a safe, effective way to remove unwanted hair, which could improve your self-esteem and self-confidence. Even though there are plenty of options available for safe laser hair removal, it’s important for you to be aware of possible laser hair removal side effects.
Your laser hair removal provider should always review the risks and benefits of every procedure with you before you get started so you know what to expect. But for your own research, you might want to know, does laser hair removal have any side effects?
There are a few important points to keep in mind, which we’ll cover in this blog to help you decide if this treatment is right for you. Use the links below or keep reading to learn more about potential laser hair removal side effects.
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe?
Yes, laser hair removal is very safe. This is a treatment option that has been used for a very long time, and it has been thoroughly researched by a variety of impartial organizations in the field. Today, laser hair removal is a routine cosmetic treatment that’s undergone by many people each year with no issues.
Laser hair removal is very safe, and that is why our patients continue to trust us. At the same time, we do want you to be aware of potential laser hair removal side effects ahead of time.
What Are the Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal?
It’s important to review both the short-term and long term side effects of laser hair removal. Keep in mind that just because the side effects are listed doesn’t necessarily mean you are going to experience any of them. There are some people who do not experience any side effects of laser hair removal on their face or other parts of their bodies.
Short-Term Side Effects
Some of the most common short-term side effects include:
- Redness: You might experience some mild redness in the treatment area. This redness is a sign of skin irritation that comes from the treatment itself.
- Swelling: You might also experience some mild swelling following the procedure. Swelling is another response to skin irritation, so you might experience that after the procedure.
- Mild Discomfort: You might experience pain after laser hair removal in terms of sensitivity, but this discomfort is relatively mild. We will always take steps to keep you as comfortable as possible during the procedure.At LivSmooth, our laser provides cooling at the same time as removal, so our treatments are painless.
- Skin Pigment Changes: There are some possible skin pigment changes that you might experience. Some people might have skin that gets a bit lighter, while other people might have skin that gets a bit darker. Some of these changes are temporary, but others could be permanent. This may depend on the type of laser being used.
These are a few examples of the most common short-term effects that people might experience, but again, there are plenty of people who get laser hair removal that do not have any side effects at all.
Long-Term Side Effects
It’s also important to review the long-term side effects of laser hair removal. Keep in mind that the long-term side effects are also rare. Some of the possible long-term side effects that you might experience include:
- Hyperpigmentation: As mentioned above, there are some skin pigment changes that could be permanent. If your skin gets darker, it is called hyperpigmentation. This means that you may have some areas of your skin that are darker than they were before.
- Hypopigmentation: Hypopigmentation can also happen. This means that your skin is lighter than it was before. This is a possible short-term or long-term side effect.
- Scarring: There is a chance that you could experience scars. Even though scars are fairly rare, there are some isolated cases where it happens following laser hair removal.
- Blisters: You may also experience some blisters after laser hair removal. There are some lasers that take longer to disappear than others. Hair removal providers should take all necessary precautions to minimize the chances of any blisters developing.
If you have more questions about these potential side effects, you should ask your laser hair removal provider during your consultation.
Are Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal on Your Face Different?
You might be interested in some of the specific side effects of laser hair removal on your face. Fortunately, there are no side effects of laser hair removal on your face that are any different when compared to other parts of your body. There is a chance that you might develop some mild redness and irritation, and there is a chance that your skin pigment could change color. Because pigment changes on your skin can be particularly sensitive, providers usually take extra precautions to make sure they do what they can to protect delicate skin.
How Can You Reduce the Risks of Laser Hair Removal?
Every procedure comes with risks, and laser hair removal is no different; however, there are a few steps you can take to minimize the chances of complications and side effects happening.
Some of the most important tips you need to follow to reduce the risks of laser hair removal include:
Go to Experienced Practitioners
If you want the best treatment experience, you need to make sure that you go to experienced practitioners. That means identifying the best laser hair removal options in your area. You should always start by taking a look at the website to see what they have to say. Make sure the information they share is accurate, and take a look at how long they have been in business.
In addition, you take a look at some reviews and ratings that have been left by prior clients. If other people have had a positive experience with that practitioner, there is a good chance that you will have a positive experience as well.
Follow Preparation Instructions
If you want your treatment to be successful, you need to follow the pre-treatment advice provided by your practitioner. Some of the most important instructions that you should follow include:
- Make sure that you wear sunscreen prior to the procedure. You don’t want to get a sunburn before your procedure, since you can’t get laser hair removal on an area that has a sunburn.
- Try to stay away from plucking, waxing, and creams that could otherwise remove hair. If you remove the hair before the procedure, the laser will not be able to successfully target it since those methods remove the actual hair follicle.
- Shave the treatment area 24 hours before the treatment process begins. This could make it easier for us to remove the necessary hair.
In some cases, providers may also make other recommendations based on your specific situation.
Adhere to Post-Treatment Protocol
You should also be given instructions for protocol that you need to follow after the treatment process. You may have a bit of redness and soreness, but this should fade relatively quickly. It’s important that you wear sunscreen immediately after the procedure is done. Your skin will be a bit sensitive, and you need to protect it after the treatment process ends. Depending on your circumstances, your provider may also have other specific recommendations for post-treatment protocol that they’ll recommend.
Is Laser Hair Removal Worthwhile?
For many people, laser hair removal is absolutely worthwhile. When compared to other hair removal options, such as plucking and waxing, laser hair removal provides long-term results, which makes personal hygiene much more convenient. Plus, it can help you feel much more self-confident if you’re self-conscious about hair growth.
Find Out If Laser Hair Removal Is Right for You
If you are looking for the best laser hair removal options, consider LivSmooth. We strive to provide the highest level of patient care by creating a spa-like experience and using the latest laser technology for safe, effective treatment.
We have an unparalleled level of experience, and we work hard to make sure that we stay on top of the latest developments. That way, we provide you with access to the best possible technology we can find. Our team will take all possible precautions to minimize side effects of laser hair removal while also providing you with the best possible results.
Learn more about LivSmooth today and schedule a consultation to get started.